Anyone using ReScript for servers or full stack apps right now?

I mentioned earlier that OCaml bindings exist :slight_smile: Anyone using ReScript for servers or full stack apps right now? - #33 by yawaramin

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen these and they look really useful, but some critical services (such as SNS, EventBridge, S3, DynamoDB, IAM) are not present, so I wonder if API generation using the Smithy definitions would be valuable, especially given the other services it would open up.

1 Like

Woah! Nice job. I realized I even starred it before too. Didnā€™t know you running a unicorn startup :joy:

Thanks! I did it as a personal challenge, but I donā€™t use ReScript day-to-day and my interests have kind of moved on from it, so unfortunately I donā€™t have much more incentive to improve it. Iā€™ve opened some issues to highlight current shortcomings, but in my view its mostly ā€œcompleteā€ and really just needs regular maintenance to update the bindings from time to time, and some code clean up.

I ended up learning golang and trying it out for a while. Right now, my ranked preference is (with goals of working within a large, growing, quality ecosystem and being okay with using unit tests or types for correctness):

1. python
  2. golang
  3. rust
  4. ruby

Within the spectrum of functional, Rust has > 80K native packages. Clojure has 30K, Elixir has 15K, Haskell has 16K, Scala has 8K, OCaml has 3K. F# has 3K(?).

I use rescript on the backend! Iā€™ve slowly begun converting my discord bot from TS to rescript, and am writing a REST api with it on my new project.

Golang is the other language Iā€™m interested in, just because itā€™s another one with a ā€œsimpleā€ interface. Iā€™ve grown to love the idea that a language doesnā€™t have 1,000 different ways to write the same thing ā€“ removing that cognitive load has definitely helped me stay focused and productive

1 Like

Hey, I am currently putting a fair amount of time into discord.js bindings

If you have any written, Iā€™d love to combine efforts.