Community Meeting | May 2022

As discussed in our Project Update | April 2022, @zth and I would like to set up a community meeting where we can discuss all the details for the tasks we are currently working on.

Who & What?
For anyone interested in the development of the ReScript programming language or just wants to take part in the discussions.

The topics are outlined in the aforementioned announcement post.

Date and Time:
2022-05-19T18:00:00Z.

Invitation Link:

Please note that this session will require a registered Zoom user account to protect us from random spam.

Important: We may record and upload the session for documentation reasons (also for other community members that weren’t able to join).

Cheers.

16 Likes

Can not use Zoom from china😂

Looking forward to it!

It’s the same situation for YouTube, right, can’t use that either? We can stream the meeting to YouTube in addition to Zoom, but I suspect YouTube isn’t available either.

No, youTube is not available too😭

For future reference, what does work? And how common is it to use VPN etc?

2 Likes

this is at 4am for me so yes please do record it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there any recording for the meeting?

1 Like

It’s not happened yet

Hello everyone!

Thanks for joining the call yesterday. For those who couldn’t attend, we will upload the recorded video in the next few days and put the link in this thread (\cc @zth).

The slides for the meeting are available here:
22_05_19_rescript_community_meeting.pdf (103.5 KB)

Great to see so many folks interested in the project, and thanks for taking the time to join our call — we will try our best to coordinate / onboard new members as we go. We are currently in the process of winding up necessary infrastructure to allow tighter communication between contributors and team members (syntax, compiler, editor, docs-website, etc).

Here are some details on how to proceed from here:

• Check out the slides & latest project update post and think about what topics you are interested to work on.
  • Check out the corresponding issue trackers and milestones to get familiar with the current codebases. Especially for the compiler repo, we are trying to clean up as much as possible so it’s easy to get started. Ideally you’d have a concrete issue in mind you’d like to work on.
  • Join our development chat server for closer communication. Ping either @zth or me on the forum via PM, or on Discord to get an invite (Gabriel Nordeborn#8445 and ryyppy#8688).

Important: Please understand that we can’t really respond to general questions like “What should I work on?”, since this highly depends on your motivation, skills and interests. Usually the first step of understanding a codebase is by starting out with an issue and try to tackle a problem heads-on. From there, more concrete questions may arise that will help leading the discussion!

Our main goal is to get the compiler / syntax repo to a contributor-friendly state so we can ship v10 as a “community release”; I listed the links to the milestones in all the various resources linked above.

Thanks for joining and let’s get the ball rolling!

11 Likes

@Mng12345 can you point us to a platform where one could upload a video that is also accessible from China? may also just be a plain data hosting platform.

For now we are preparing the upload to an unlisted Youtube playlist, but we’d like to make the information accessible for you as well.

Generally I am having troubles providing information to China, since it’s a constant moving target. It’s hard to get notified / understand the dynamics when a CDN / platform gets blocked, so I wonder how one could tackle this problem properly in the future.

Hmm, Probably no platform, if it has one, then the platform will be blocked soon :joy::joy::joy:.Some of us(but i do not know who) can use vpn to access the video, may be we can entrust he/she to upload it to some cloud drive in China. I am not allowed to use vpn for some reason…

Sorry for the delay - here’s the video from the meeting: Community Meeting May 2022 - YouTube

9 Likes

@ryyppy Hi, could you just upload the meeting videos into a github repo? I and the others will find a way to get it eventually.