Compile rescript to native? Compile rescript back to reason?

Hey yall! Is the rescript playground open source? it seems to be able to compile rescript to reason, and I’d like to use rescript without losing the native support of reason. I don’t mind if I’m limited to a subset of both languages, as long as it means that I can use revery locally and reactjs in browser. It seems like compatibility between the two has been lost because of the project split, so if there’s a compiler that can turn rescript back into reason, then it would be really useful for code sharing.

(Also, are there any plans to compile js/ts to rescript? doesn’t seem like it’d be that hard from a surface glancethrough.)

Hi, this was discussed a lot.

TLDR: we don’t have resources/funding to support native backend with decent user experience (we could make some cool demos, but this is not in our interest).

On the contrary, we want rescript to be a sustainable tech in the next 10 years, so we will try to reduce irrelevant maintenance overhead as much as we can – which means none of those changes will take native backend into consideration.

We are interested in integration with other alternatives, e.g, WebAssembly/WebGPU, though.

It seems like compatibility between the two has been lost because of the project split,

It is not a split, ReScript/BuckleScript is always its own self contained project. It is that we don’t plan to support reason syntax any more. The reason syntax support is in maintenance mode and will be removed eventually (to reduce the maintenance overhead).

4 Likes