Compiler testing via fuzzing

I wonder if ReScript compiler developers make use of automatic compiler testing techniques like, Csmith for C or LangFuzz for JS. As RS is relatively young, I think there would be many chances for those fuzzing techniques to reveal RS compiler bugs. Currently I’m studying on software testing, so I’ve been curious. Do developers face any need in systematic & automated testing of ReScript compiler?

Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

A couple of relevant areas that come to mind.

• Can you cash the parser?
    That area is already tackled by static analysis (using https://github.com/rescript-association/reanalyze). No unsafe code is use so the remaining issue is throwing exception. The analysis reports on uses of unchecked functions that might raise exceptions. That said, recent integration of the parser in the editor extension, which effectively uses users as “fuzz testers” revealed one case of crash (unhandled exception) where the source code was explicitly silencing the static analysis.
    The other area handled via static analysis is infinite loops, which were quite common before turning on static analysis for termination.

• Can you crash the editor extension?
    The code is currently not as strong as the parser, and there have been, and likely are left, cases where it can crash (raise exceptions) under certain inputs.

6 Likes

@cristianoc Thank you for comments:)

Sounds interesting that there existed a corner case which made parser malfunctioning. I have a question as I little confused. Does it mean that rescript parser crashed with unexpected exception which reanalyzer didn’t report? What makes me confusing is, rescript parser is an ocaml program, while reanalyzer seems targeting rescript program.

Reanalyze works for both OCaml and ReScript projects.
Here’s the relevant commit: Fix issue where the parser crashes on empty unterminated comment. · rescript-lang/syntax@ccd4e3d · GitHub

There’s an explicit annotation [@doesNotRaise] that is used to silence the analyser. Either the problematic case was missed in the beginning, or some small change has introduced it afterwards.
In any case, when something goes wrong, there are only a few spots to inspect.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind answer, and besides that concrete example is very helpful for me. Because complex semantic restrictions(e.g. def before use) are not needed when a parser input is made, this task seems to be a good starting point. Even I’m not going to do it right now as I’m working on an urgent project, I’ll post here if I make some progress about it :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

@sehoon you might find this interesting: https://github.com/rescript-lang/syntax/pull/542

Thank you!
Actually I’m a guy who posted #540 :relaxed:

I found it by AFL++.
I guessed commonly used fuzzer would work, as parser works on a sequence of bytes.
I’ll post PRs if I find something new :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I did not notice. Well spotted!
Would you share briefly what you had to do to set it up?

I just followed ordinary process which can be easily found, nothing special.
But it would be fun to share what I have done.

Currently I’m busy doing another job(again :sob:), and I think I will be able to afford to write about that and additional crash reports, at the end of the month :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

There’s no rush. Definitely interested in knowing more at some point.

Summarising the context.
Fuzzing discovered a new infinite loop in the parser, which opened up a new category of loops not considered. This is when the parser keeps on reading Eof over and over again e.g. during parser recovery, and never terminates.
With that info in mind, it was possible to adapt the use of the analysis and discover new infinite loops.
It would be interesting to see what could be found when pointing the fuzzer towards that specific category of loops. There’s a PR that turns them into crashes, and that’s normally the thing that helps fuzzers.

3 Likes

@cristianoc Thank you for your opinion! As far as I know, AFL++, an evolutionary fuzzer, guides testing by updating seed pool when a mutated input turned out to be useful. And the criterion of the usefulness is (approximated)code coverage which is generally applicable for any software. For now, I’m not sure AFL++ supports other(or custom) strategies for feedback. :cry:

By the way, I just posted a tutorial which I had done to find bugs of Rescript parser with AFL++. As I mentioned before, I just followed ordinary procedures so the instructions will not be so complicated. Please leave comments if you find any faults or questions. :relaxed:

4 Likes

This is great. Would you have an example repository with everything set up already?
It would speed things up a lot if someone wants to try.

I just made an example repository which has much concise instruction. The link can be found in an introduction part of the post. Thank you for a good suggestion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes