ReScript Extension for Nova

Hello everyone!

I am a junior developper and I am currently learning ReScript.

I am using Nova, the code editor from Panic on MacOS.

I would like to know if there is some plan to bring the same VSC extension for ReScript to Nova ?

I know this editor is not very popular but I like it a lot.

Maybe I should try to port it myself, but I don’t think I am skilled enough…

Best regards!

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the ReScript community!

I think most people never even heard of Nova, but it looks cool.

It utilizes LSP, so it seems what you have to do if you want to port it yourself is to package the ReScript language server plus some glue code into a Nova extension.

As of now, the ReScript language server is not yet published to npm, but it will be soonish. Then it should be relatively straightforward to support all kinds of editors that adhere to the language server protocol specification.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer!

I am not surprising, Nova is only 2 years old and it’s a small company compared to Microsoft with VSC.

I’ll wait for the ReScript language server to be release then!

But I guess even if I want to port this by my self, I’ll have to be have strong knowledge about ReScript and the language it self to know exactly what I am doing, is that right ?

I don’t think you need to know too much about ReScript. You can probably take the source code from another extension and adapt it to the ReScript LSP.

Have a look at the TypeScript extension for instance.

Also, people here will gladly help you if you have any ReScript- or ReScript-LSP-specific questions.

Alright!

Thank you for your explanations!

I’ll come back here when ReScript language server will be published on npm then!

Meanwhile, I’m gonna read the docs about Nova’s extensions…

Best regards!