Why are the bindings for most libraries outdated?

First of all, I really like rescript’s type system and speed. I’m a beginner to FP and Rescript. I am worried that many libraries like rescript-express, rescript-next don’t have any commits for the past 2 or 3 years. I have seen bindings for next but couldn’t find any bindings for nextjs api handlers. Are the bindings stable enough that they don’t need any additions? Maybe I don’t know how to use or where to find them. I really want rescript to do well in future.

Also I would like to know if I could rename the auto-generated js files during compilation?

GitHub - DZakh/rescript-rest: 😴 ReScript RPC-like client, contract, and server implementation for a pure REST API has fastify bindings which is a good alternative for rescript-express. Also, I’m going to add support for nextjs handlers soon.

2 Likes

Thanks @DZakh. This is helpful. How do you work with db in rescript ?

Plugging my own things here, but check out these two for working with databases:

2 Likes

Nice. Thank you for your efforts!

Keeping up with JS libraries APIs is a very thankless task. Most companies use a certain version of e.g. NextJS and when it’s good enough already, they don’t change anything. I myself maintain rescript-mui where I did not even finish all the bindings for v5 and now v6 is the most recent one.

But at work we still use v4 in some places so there is no incentive to do it. But it helps that the library is out there and people can copy it into their codebase and adapt some small things so it works for their use-case.

Ideally we want to have a best-effort bindings repository where some tooling helps you copy to and paste from it, but nowadays it feels like people just use an AI anyways so not sure if it is even worth the engineering effort.

2 Likes

I see it’s not a rewarding task. But creating bindings are not easy for beginners. I am getting to know how to write half baked bindings after 2 weeks. Lack of sufficient tutorials is one big reason. I hope the community makes an effort to create some tutorials for beginners.